Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine from the Teacher

This is the 2nd year I've made my kids heart shaped crayons for their Valentine from me. Last year I melted the crayons on a cookie sheet and cut them out with a cookie cutter. It was a little messy and took awhile becuase I had to keep washing the cookie cutter each time to get the extra waxy mess off. So this year when I saw these heart shaped ice cube trays at Target I thought they'd be perfect molds. I've seen tons of tutorials for doing this on other blogs so it looked easy peasy. But a word to the wise- these trays are not made for heating in an oven! You can definitely see where the edges started drooping. And we had some pretty nice fumes in the kitchen for awhile. Oops, now I know. But they still turned out cute!












4 comments:

  1. Glad you tried this first. I saw those from a distance (I didn't realize it was for making ice cubes... I was thinking it was a cookie mold!)
    They still turned out really cute. I need to set out a box to collect broken crayons. I'm afraid to report that my kids are throwing them away when they break off into bits.

    Love your blog- I just found it tonight! Very cute.

    http://teachinghappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for joining Cupid's Journey! We featured you today, here is the link to the post:
    http://frogsbeesundertheseas.blogspot.com/2011/02/cupids-journey-day-1.html

    :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Aren't you crafty?? I bet your students loved these. Congrats on being featured on Frogs, Bees, and Under the Seas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog recently and love it!

    I bought these SAME ice cube trays at Target with the same intentions as you! I was nervous since they were "ice cube" trays so I tested the tray in my oven without crayons first. My kitchen was also full of fumes...and smoke! After that, I decided not to make the crayons after all. Glad your crayons turned out!

    playgroundduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete